Tilkut or tilkatri made of sesame seeds is a sweet snacks prepared during harvesting festival makar Sankranti in Bihar, Jharkhand and some part of Uttar Pradesh. A sweet crisp cracker is made by mixing sesame seeds and Jaggery or sugar. The popularity of Tilkut is not bounded only to Bihar but it has crossed overseas. Gaya is famous for the delicious tilkut which is prepared during winter.
- Sesame seeds (til) -3 cups
- Jaggery -2 cups
- Ghee -2 tablespoon
- some water.
- In a large frying pan take some ghee and roast the sesame seeds on a low flame for five to six minutes until it looks brown.
- Keep on stirring sesame seeds else it may burn.
- Transfer them into a bowl and allow to cool.
- Put the seeds in a grinder or pestle and grind them very course.
- In a non-stick pan put jaggery or sugar and add one cup of water and bring it to boil. Keep it boiling for some time till a thick syrup is formed.
- Pour the syrup into the sesame seeds slowly and keep stirring the mixture otherwise the Jaggery syrup will get crystallized.
- Transfer it into an aluminum paper or plate and spread the content to make one inch thick sheet.
- Let it cool down a little and then cut it to give desired shapes. Now allow it to cool.
- Now tilkut is ready to serve. It can also be stored in an airtight container for 2-3 weeks.